Sunday 1 July 2012

I Belong To You


Every week we have a rendition from the Sign Team at church. I’m almost never interested in the signing but what ministers to me most is the song they minister with. It’s the way the young man introduces the song, and even if they repeat a song, as they have done before, he always manages, through his relationship with God, shed new light on the whole song or a line in the song. We also have a theme/topic for each service and the young man tends to tie in the song with the theme/topic.

Last week Sunday 24/06/2012, the topic was Praise & Worship Sunday, we generally don’t have a theme for Sundays like that. The Sign Team did the song Conqueror by Vashawn Mitchell. I felt it, I sang it, I was with it, I knew all the words I believed it, I knew it! I AM a conqueror, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, I am, I am MORE than a conqueror” yeah it was cool. Bro. Troy’s introduction of it was well wicked as well, his words gave me a sort of conviction. I know I am MORE than a conqueror, Bro. Troy said when we say that we should say it like we believe it, stand on the words because it’s God’s word, believe it! I did.


Today Sunday 01/07/12 was Communion & Consecration Service, believers I need not explain that part and the topic was ‘Blood Is Thicker Than Water’ the song the Sign Team did was William McDowell’s ‘I Belong To You’, it’s a song I KNOW, when I say I know this song I mean I listened to it tons of times, I sang it yes. But the song Bro. Troy introduced was the title ‘I Give Myself Away’ by the same artist. This is actually funny because the song I Belong To You has a refrain in it from the song I Give Myself Away, or vice versa, either way they have the same words in both of them.

What Bro. Troy was saying, even though about the song I Give Myself Away, is that with true worship, you need to be totally and ultimately submitted to God, you need to literally give yourself away. You can go to church and lift your hands, sing jump and shout – that’s praise - but what is your heart like? I’ve heard this said about a sincere heart so many times but it hit home harder than usual.

Worship takes on a whole different meaning, to me, it’s where you reach that place with your God, where nothing else really matters, its where the Holy Spirit visits you and takes you to a place of worship and in the words of William McDowell’s song ‘Place Of Worship’ “don’t care who sees, don’t care who hears” it’s that place.

The moral of the story is: I had to question myself, while everyone else was praising to the song the Sign Team was ministering with, I was grounded to my seat, in deep meditation about my heart; my worship. Have I given myself away? Completely, holding nothing back. Have I? Am I trus  ting totally in His wisdom? Or leaning on my own understanding? Have I surrendered to His will? Or am I still tryna walk in my way? Does He have control? Or do I still try to tell Him how my life should be lived?
These questions stuck with me. How much am I really giving shouldn’t be a question. It should be all. You can’t give Him your heart without the rest of your body because your heart needs the rest of your body to function. It can’t work all by itself, give Him your whole self and stand behind Him and watch Him live life through you and be blessed.
01/07/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment