Saturday 6 April 2013

8 Things Living In Jamaica Has Taught Me

I lived in Jamaica for most of my life, I was born in London, England and left when I was 5 and lived there for 12 years. Leaving at such an early age I didn't fully grasp the British culture so at that point I had nothing to compare. I returned when I was 17 and that was in May 2007. Being aware enough in both countries and for the love of reflection, I wanna share some things even though there's definitely more than 10 things I've learnt.


  1. What poverty REALLY means - In the UK and I imagine in the US as well, being "broke" means having no money till the next welfare payment comes through. In Jamaica being "broke" means being broke, it means looking in the cupboard and having no food, then checking your pockets and having no means to fill the cupboards. Being broke in Jamaica means you're BROKE!!
  2. How to make nothing from an empty cupboard - being "broke" teaches you how to make something out of nothing. So you go to the trees, you turn to nature and friends and beg if you have to, to get something on the wood fire that you have to gather wood for and make and you get some food!! Grandma always used to say "use wha yu hav fi mek wha yu want" and so we did. 
  3. How to really appreciate the small things in life - we grew up with most of the "basic" stuff e.g. electricity, fridge, iron, cooker, running water, washing machine etc. One day in class we were discussing a topic (which I now forget) but it had to do with the issue of ironing clothes, I explained to the class that you don't necessarily need to iron your clothes, if you flash it out hard enough and put it out to dry in the wind eventually all the creases will come out... The teacher looked at me and laughed and said "Kristal is that what you had to do today?" I wasn't confident enough to smile and say 'yes actually' so I bowed my head and cried. Coming to the UK and seeing people panic cuz the Wi-Fi is not connected properly makes me giggle. 
  4. Respect - no, really the real thing! I learnt how to respect my elders, leaders, teachers and authority. I respect them, may not always like them but I respect them in the way that if you're not respectful there's a swift wind that follows the slap that connects to your face. That hurts. 
  5. Appreciation for education - in the UK and US education is free, I had to pay to go to public schools, yes I did!!! We often had to skip school or sent back home cuz our fees weren't paid. 
  6.  I've learnt what really matters - priorities in reality, I spend no time worrying about things that will in no way advance me. I've learnt that there's people out there that would KILL to have what I have so I've learnt how to appreciate what I have, I've had little so I appreciate the little I have now 
  7. I've learnt the importance of reflecting - I've learnt how to look back, how to appreciate where I'm coming from to see that I've been worse and things could be worse. 
  8. I came to the knowledge of God when I was living there - I knew OF Him, not what He meant to ME. But growing up in church made me appreciate the fact that God can reach anyone, He loves everyone and if it wasn't for mom dragging me to church every Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday and Friday, I wouldn't know how sweet it is to be in His house with His people - fellowship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment